Industrial Battery Acid Spills Neutralizing Acid & Electrolyte
- Management Assistance for OSHA Compliance
If you need help from DC Power Solutions whether it's for ongoing industrial battery maintenance like watering and testing, or with cleaning up a lead acid battery spill please contact us. We are also available for after hour emergencies (call 800-326-0691). You can get a battery spill kit in an effort to be prepared in case you have a forklift battery spill. You can read more about battery spills in our blog post Battery Spill Cleanup: Preparation is the Key
DC Power Solutions Video: Forklift Battery Spill Cleanup (2:18)
Lead Acid Battery Spill
In the event of an acid spill, OSHA recommends:• Neutralize the spill with soda ash or baking soda–use one pound of baking soda to one gallon of water
• The acid reaction is complete when it stops fizzing–make certain that the acid is neutralized by checking the pH
(neutral is between six and eight)
• Absorb neutralized material onto clay or other absorbent material, if necessary and if the spill is very large, contain the spill earth or clay
• Brush under the battery connectors and remove all grime and rinse the residue from the battery with clean water with a hose
• Report the incident to your supervisor
• Determine proper disposal by contacting local environmental authorities
Proper Preventative Maintenance
How to Clean Up an Acid Spill:1. Evacuate employees from the spill area, if necessary.
2. Wear personal protective equipment compatible with chemicals involved.
3. Ventilate the contaminated area.
4. Determine if the contaminated water, sludge, neutralized acids or bases, etc. are pH neutral (pH 6-7).
5. Sprinkle some of the Absorber onto the neutral spill.
6. Allow neutralizer to absorb the pH neutral liquid.
7. Collect the used neutralized material by sweeping, shoveling, etc.
8. Place the used absorb neutralized material into a temporary disposal device.
9. Dispose of all used articles according to local, state, and federal regulations.
NOTE: It is strongly recommended that Acid Neutralizer be used to neutralize the spill prior to use
Battery Acid Spill KitsFive kits – 1/2 gallon, 2 gallon, 6 gallon, 15 gallon, 25 gallon Kits come with acid absorber and neutralizer as well as safety wear, brush, pan, disposal bags, and SDS sheets Yellow to purple color change when acid is neutralized and safe See OSHA 1926.441 & 1910.173